NPTEL is an acronym for National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning which is an initiative by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) for creating course contents in engineering and science. NPTEL provides E-learning through online Web and Video courses in Engineering, Science and humanities streams. A large number of students who are unable to attend scholarly institutions through NPTEL will have access to quality content from them. NPTEL has started offering online certification courses through its portal https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in. There are 10 hours, 20 hour as well as 40 hour courses offered twice a year.
Main objective of NPTEL
The main objective of NPTEL is to make learning material available to students of engineering institutions through easier means. The broad aim of the project is to facilitate the competitiveness of Indian industry in the global markets through improving the quality and reach of engineering.
Impact of NPTEL
NPTEL contents are being used by various educational institutions as part of their teaching learning process. While faculty members are using these contents as part of their lesson plan to teach university curriculum, students are using NPTEL not only to prepare for technical jobs and competitive exams, but also as a platform for constant learning and updating knowledge for the ever-changing environment and market realities. NPTEL contents are designed such that they enhance and complement students’ residential learning experience at their given institutions.
GATE Preparation using NPTEL Material
GATE is IIT’s competitive entrance exam for Master’s and Doctoral programs across India. NPTEL provides GATE question papers and mock tests on its official website nptel.ac.in. Previous 3 year question papers with reference to NPTEL content are available. Practice tests (without solution) are also available for students that mimic the actual online exam pattern. Our institute is selected as a NPTEL Local Chapter.
NPTEL LOCAL CHAPTER
Local Chapter is an initiative taken by the project NPTEL to encourage students across the country and ensure that online education reaches everybody. Local Chapter is a simple process a faculty of the college would be our single point of contact (SPOC). NPTEL team keeps the SPOC updated about all the latest NPTEL initiatives and information which he can disseminate among the students.
ACHARIYA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY – NPTEL Local Chapter
NPTEL has accepted the request to host a NPTEL Local Chapter in ACHARIYA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY and ACET students are engaged in online course since 2015. This is a joint initiative by seven IITs and IISc Bangalore.
Benefits to students of Local Chapter
- Have access to 1000+ courses of NPTEL –view, download and copy
- Get information about upcoming courses
- If a mentor is available, get help when required
- Be eligible for scholarship and avail DD payment
- Use college infrastructure for course access
- Be motivated by fellow students, group work
ACET – NPTEL SPOC: Mr.A.Albert Alex M.Tech.,Ph.D. Assistant Professor / CSE.
Role of SPOC (SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT)
- Brand ambassador of NPTEL in the college
- Identify faculty members who can act as mentors for the enrolled students
- Encourage students to enroll in these courses.
- Ensure NPTEL content at college is up to date
- Aid students in exam registration
Make available facilities for students to access online courses
Role of Mentors
- Faculty members who teach the course or in relevant discipline can be a mentor
- Should enroll to the course
- Can mentor only 2 courses maximum
- No minimum number of students to be a mentor; Maximum ratio of 1:50
- Students have to select the mentor on the portal
- Mentors can see the assignment scores of mentees
- Can help with explaining gaps in concepts taught Give more practice assignments
- Facilitate resources for viewing the lectures